Friday, August 21, 2009

The Content of Their Character


Note: Originally, I posted this as an update to yesterday's article Sex, Love, and Marriage in Modern Society, but in retrospect, I think it deserves a separate post. See below...


To continue the dialogue, last night, I sent Lawrence Auster the following email...

As a young man (29), I wanted to tell you about some of my first-hand experiences with women of my generation (in contrast to the women of your era). First, let me say that while I don't like the terms "alpha male" and "beta male" any more than you do (I'd rather just call myself a "man," period), I'll play along with the game and identify myself as a "beta male." And by that I mean that I have no discernible superiority in the traditional masculine traits of physical strength, attractiveness, or charisma. What I lack in these traits are offset (I hope) through my intelligence, creativity, and character. In any case, what are the dating prospects of a "beta male" such as myself? Well, let me put it this way: Throughout my teenage years and young adulthood, I have been privileged to know many "good men"--men who--by any sane standard--would be considered excellent husbands. Unfortunately, I can't give the same compliment to the opposite sex. I have known very few "good women" in my lifetime. Today, most young women are a strange hybrid of men and women. They lack the feminine qualities that men have always appreciated (and continue to appreciate, even if we won't admit it). Meanwhile, women are adopting some of the worst vices of our sex (excessive drinking, casual sexual activity, ruthless careerism, etc.). Fortunately, when it comes to those few women who over the years I have come to like in a romantic sense, I've had some good success. Indeed, I'm currently engaged. But I'm lucky. Most men aren't. Therein lies the problem.

Let me give you an example of today's twenty-something "lady." About five years ago (I was 24 at the time), I met a friend of mine for dinner. He brought along his new girlfriend--a petite recent college grad--pretty in an unaffecting way--and quite shy--dare I say, almost timid. Also, she was smart. She worked for the government. In any case, the three of us had a nice evening together, and I left the restaurant thinking: "What a nice girl. She and [my friend] have a bright future together."

Boy was I wrong, Lawrence. Later on, I learned the truth of how my friend and his girlfriend met: They met at a party. And that very same night, they had sex together in the bathroom. After that, they went on a few dates. And then their relationship ended.

Sad, isn't it? And to think: Those are the respectable (!) women!

We are in trouble, my friend. Once these women (and men) advance through society and gain power, we in for a rough time, indeed. The level of their moral corruption should not be underestimated.

Mr. Auster replied:

Very interesting and disturbing (I realize I'm overusing that word lately).

I responded:

Yes, I agree. It is quite disturbing. By the way, it sounds as if you've read (or at least are familiar with) Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons. I've read it too. The book came out in 2004. I graduated from college in 2001, so I feel comfortable standing as a witness" for the "truth" of Mr. Wolfe's book--and let me say it is true. Or at least 90 percent true. Charlotte Simmons accurately describes the dating scene at today's colleges and universities, which--needless to say--is appalling. Furthermore, it should be pointed out that the college dating scene doesn't end in college; it continues far beyond. The behavior of today's college women isn't a "phase;" it becomes their very essence. I'm 29 years old, and I'm still waiting for the women of my generation to grow up. Having said all that, I don't want to beat up too much on the fairer sex. I love women. At least real women. And I'm sure many modern gals could spin a tale about how it is really men who are the ones who have debased contemporary romance. Fine. Point taken. But it seems to me--after giving this issue a lot of thought over the last few days--that it really women, not men, who are the heart of the problem, and thus, at the heart of the solution. It is the behavior of women, not men, that has changed most drastically in the past half-century, starting with the Sexual Revolution in the '60s, and accelerating with another, albeit quieter, Revolution in the '90s). Therefore, our best chance for America's renewal rests in the hands of women. I'm not terribly optimistic. And since we know that a person's sexual values is a leading indicator of his or her future behavior, I am not terribly confident about my generation's ability to lead America or Western civilization. The best we can hope for from Generation Y (which voted for Obama 66 percent to 32 percent) is that they will keep the fort running for a few more decades until a culture of reason and morality has a chance to bloom once again.

Lawrence has posted this exchange on his website.

[END]

No comments: