Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Expelled:" A Review

On Friday night, I finally got around to seeing "Expelled," the Number 1 documentary of 2008...

"Ben Stein stars in this satirical documentary which examines the criticisms and hostilities that exist in today's scientific field (both academic and professional) towards peers and journalists who subscribe to or even entertain the perspective of Intelligent Design in science."

After watching the film, I organized my thoughts into 5 major categories...

1) "Expelled" is a legitimately excellent movie which covers the I.D. controversy from multiple angles - including the most important angle of all - which is the survival of freedom in America.

At its most fundamental level, the I.D. debate isn't about science; it's about freedom. The freedom to "follow the facts wherever they go" and speak your conscience - without fear of punishment. Before "Expelled" was released, we were unquestionably losing that fight for freedom; but if "Expelled" gets a wide enough circulation, there is reason to hopeful that we can go on offense and
turn the tides back in our favor.

2) The I.D. debate is a genuinely important issue which affects all Americans.

I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that for the last 250 years or so, "science" has been the most respected institution in Western society; and the high public regard for "science" (a rational, objective way of seeing the world) was directly related to the West's economic climb (though scientifically-inspired technological breakthroughs) and the rise of political democracy.

But by arrogantly changing their mission from "objective seekers of truth" to playing "thought police," the scientific establishment is crippling their credibility - perhaps beyond repair.

Actually, my mistake: this isn't about science; it was never about science; it's about protecting an atheist ideology. Now the whole thing makes sense!

Is it any wonder that, according to the General Social Survey, the percentage of Americans who express a "great deal of confidence" in the "scientific community' has dropped from 45% to 40% over the last 8 years? Expect that number to keep falling.

3) There was one extremely emotional section of the film: The video of Adolf Hitler's speech in which he praises "Social Darwinism," followed by Ben Stein's present-day tour of a concentration camp in which thousands were killed in the spirit of that "Social Darwinist" ideology. Rarely has the link between Darwinism and the Holocaust been so well-presented.

4) Even today, radical Darwinism is spreading lies in a way that does great damage.

5) Final thought: I really respect Ben Stein for taking the initiative to become a leader in the I.D. movement - knowing full well that it would do irreversible damage to his career and reputation. Before "Expelled," Mr. Stein was highly-regarded by America's elite. The man was a well-known actor and economist (talk about a strange combination!). But there is no issue that riles the American Elite more than evolution (with the possible exception of abortion). And for challenging that issue, Mr. Stein continues to pay a price. And yet Mr. Stein has championed this cause with great courage and enthusiasm. And he is to be applauded for that.

The "Expelled" website can be found here.

And here is the Discovery Institute's "One-Stop Rebuttal to Attacks on Expelled."

-Todd

4 comments:

Anthony said...

I saw some of your comments over at Vox's crappy site and thought I would take a look at some of your writings. I liked your "Why I am Not a Christian" and thought it was spot on. And then I came and read your review of Expelled and lost any respect that I may have had for you. First, evolution does not necessarily lead to atheism, secondly, Ken Miller is a theist and has totally devastated ID in his writings. The NCSE has a site specifically addressing the issues with the Expelled movie. I would recommend that you avail yourself of it's contents.

Since you appear to reject evolution may I recommend three books that I would challenge you to read on the topic?

Jerry Coyne, Why Evolution is True.

Donald Prothero, Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why it Matters.

Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution.

Then I would recommend two of Ken Miller's works, Finding Darwin's God and Only a Theory. Both address the problems of ID.

You see I was a creationist most of my life and embraced ID in the mid 90s when I found the writings of Johnson, Denton and others. I ended up rejecting those viewpoints when I realized the overwhelming evidence for evolution.

TMS said...

Anthony,

I’m sorry you “lost any respect” for me. It makes me question whether or not I should even respond to your comment. But I’ll indulge the both of us in this case.

I think it’s interesting that you were a Christian for most of your life, and now you are an atheist (or at least I assume you’re an atheist based on the blogs listed on your profile).

Needless to say, most people don’t wake up one morning and go from Christianity to atheism. In your case, what was your motivation in making the change?

Anthony said...

Todd,

Let me start off by apologizing for my comment. I should not have used such a harsh expression especially since I really don't know you. What I should have expressed was my disappointment.

I think it’s interesting that you were a Christian for most of your life, and now you are an atheist (or at least I assume you’re an atheist based on the blogs listed on your profile).

I would consider myself an "agnostic atheist." By agnostic I mean that I acknowledge that there is a possibility that there may be a "god" out there, maybe a deistic one that got things started. By atheist I mean that I am not currently convinced by the evidence that any god(s) exist.

Needless to say, most people don’t wake up one morning and go from Christianity to atheism. In your case, what was your motivation in making the change?

My "deconversion" wasn't overnight but it didn't take that long either. See my Why I Left Christianity. I made some clarifying statements in the Comments section

Also, Darrel Falk of the BioLogos Foundation wrote a blog where he discusses me, see his, Saving Anthony. Be sure to click on the Comments link where I clarified some of the statements made by Dr. Falk.

TMS said...

Anthony,

I read most of your essay and all of your comments on the Beliefnet site. If you’re interested in my opinion, I would say that you’ve allowed your disillusionment with Christianity as a religion to influence the related (but separate) issue of whether God exists and what ethical system is appropriate for us as human beings. By rejecting Christianity for a lack of evidence (which is understandable), you’ve also rejected any belief in God, which is less understandable, but certainly not uncommon.

In any case, you’re obviously a deep thinker who is unafraid of reaching unpopular conclusions. And for that, I salute you. And with that in mind, I encourage you to once again consider the possibility that what you’ve been led to believe is not the full picture.

See this essay, for instance…

http://mustardseednovel.blogspot.com/2009/08/best-evidence-for-god-in-one-paragraph.html